Tempest-Tost - Robertson Davies (1951)
I honestly derive more pure enjoyment from reading Robertson Davies than almost any other fiction-writer I know, so I've lately adopted a trilogy-per-summer campaign, akin to the Austin-in-January tradition I observed during the years I lived in Massachusetts. 2009, apparently, is time for Salterton.
My superficial reaction to Tempest-Tost is: I'm glad theater isn't my thing; the society would be dreadful.
But, of course, the delight of Davies is the cast. Here we have:
- Mr. Webster, wealthy estate owner who's grudgingly lent his garden to the Salterton Little Theater for their pastoral production of The Tempest.
- Freddy, his 14-year-old daughter, who's an aspiring oenologist going through a high Anglican phase.
- Griselda, his 18-year-old daughter, who's more beautiful and less stupid than her little sister suspects, and who has snagged the role of Ariel.
- Hector Mackilwraith, 40ish math teacher (with a secret passion for Griselda) who's turning out to be a simply dreadful Gonzalo.
- Roger, a cad whose attentions to Griselda make Hector heartsick.
- Solly Bridgewater, who would also be after Griselda, if only he could get out from under the thumb of his overbearing invalid mother.
- Tom, the Welsh gardner, who's resigned himself to spending most of July undoing the violence that the thespians are committing against the lawn.
- Nellie Forrester, the officious social climber sitting in in state over the Little Theater.
- Professor Vambrace, Nellie's chief enabler and co-tyrant.
- Valentine Rich, Salterton's native daughter who's found professional success in New York's theater scene, and has somehow gotten roped into directing this motley crew.
Community theater is EXACTLY like this novel.
ReplyDeleteSee, that's what I thought, which is why it's vaguely horrifying.
ReplyDelete