Monday, February 02, 2009

A book meme

This meme lifted from Bookgirl's Nightstand this morning...

One book you’re currently reading: Forty Ways to Look at Winston Churchill by Gretchen Rubin (of The Happiness Project)

One book that changed your life: perhaps not changed, but dovetailed nicely with change in progress: When Life and Beliefs Collide, by Carolyn Custis James

One book you’d want on a deserted island: Depends how long I'd have to be there...but maybe Sophie's World?

One book you’ve read more than once: The Scarlet Letter, to pick one at random

One book you’ve never been able to finish: my most dramatic abortment was of Daniel Quinn's Ishmael, but I have no intention of ever trying to take it back up. I've also been interrupted in my reading of Portrait of a Lady more than once, though not for lack of desire to finish.

One book that made you laugh: most recently, The Lump of Coal by Lemony Snickett

One book that made you cry: Where the Red Fern Grows, but I was, like, 12.

One book you keep rereading: Girl Meets God, by the inimitable Lauren Winner

One book you’ve been meaning to read: The End of the Affair by Graham Greene, to name one of many.

One book you believe everyone should read: How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler (with limitations)

Finally,
Grab the nearest book. Open it to page 56. Find the fifth sentence…

That's entirely meaningless because Oxford will never, ever sell them, to anyone, for anything, any more than the Louvre would or could sell the Mona Lisa.
-Why You Should Read Kafka Before You Waste Your Life, James Hawes, regarding the valuation of the University's Kafka collection at GBP 100,000,000.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Great fun -- a book meme for a book blog! I shall have to do this. On *my* book blog, which desperately needs to be resuscitated. (I'm wearing the old coat, must read some new books...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There! I've posted it on "Wear the Old Coat".

    ReplyDelete