Penance
Forgive me blogger, for I have sinned.
I have been curing too much, and reading too little.
I'm working on a resolution to this conflict. In the meantime, my penance: identify and share ten new (possibly) literary quotations.
- I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind... At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme, I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy, and wise in spite of themselves. - Robertson Davies, The Diary of Samuel Marchbanks, 1947
- Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking. - Albert Einstein
- By a curious confusion, many modern critics have passed from the proposition that a masterpiece may be unpopular to the other proposition that unless it is unpopular it cannot be a masterpiece. - G.K. Chesterton
- I never lecture, not because I am shy or a bad speaker, but simply because I detest the sort of people who go to lectures and don't want to meet them. - H.L. Mencken
- All truly wise thoughts have been thoughts already thousands of times. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Sentimentality is the emotional promiscuity of those who have no sentiment. - Norman Mailer (1923-2007)
- A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people. - Thomas Mann
- Astronomy's much more fun when you're not an astronomer. - Brian May
- One cannot review a bad book without showing off. - W. H. Auden
- All movements go too far. - Bertrand Russell
No comments:
Post a Comment