Sunday, January 28, 2007

Regarding Harriet

Listening to an audiobook in the car this afternoon, I was surprised to encounter the third work in a row featuring a character named Harriet. This most recent Harriet was the other woman to the central character in a John Updike story. The previous Harriets were, respectively, a middle-aged cookbook author in Death of a Snob and the lovelorn ghostwriter-turned-bagelmaker protagonist of Isabel's Bed. Come to think of it, infidelity has been just as consistent a theme through these pieces as has Harriet. (Yes, yes, it's Updike. I know.)

I tried to think of other literary Harriets, and came up with a few; Harriet Smith, prime victim of personal interference in Emma; Harriet Vane, romantic foil of Lord Peter Wimsey; Harriet the Spy, though I've never actually read that one. There have been a few Harriets on the other side of the page, too; Harriet Beecher Stowe, of course, Harriet Smart, Harriet Taylor (the eventual wife of John Stuart Mill), and doubtless dozens others, since it's a common enough name.

I don't know whether I've ever met a Harriet personally, but if so, I don't remember her. At some point, there must have been plenty of Harriets in Hollywood, though I can't think of any except for Harriet Nelson. According to U.S. Government web publications, there are no Harriets in the 110th Congress. And, so far as I can discover, there is no Saint Harriet recognized by the Roman Catholic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment